Welcome to the Business Studies Department
Business Studies as a subject gives students a good overall understanding of how businesses work. It helps them understand how businesses are set up, how they are managed and how they respond to changes in the environment in which they work. This provides a good background for when students come to make decisions on a wide range of issues, from career choices to decisions about products and services they use on a daily basis.
Key Stage Five
Course Content - What will I study?
Students will study 4 Units of work: 2 AS Level in Year 12 and 2 for A2 Unit in Year 13. These will cover the following themes:
- Marketing, Accounting & Finance.
- Human resource management: motivation.
- External influences on business; business objectives and strategies for survival and growth.
- Operations management - the production role within the business.
Students are expected to undertake considerable personal research using varied resources, particularly the Internet and broadsheet newspapers.
How will progress be tested and examined?
- Unit 1 Written examination 20% of total marks
- Unit 2 Written examination 30% of total marks
- Unit 3 Written examination 25% of total marks
- Unit 4 Written examination 25% of total marks.
Pre-U Qualification in Business and Management
This high profile option is available to selected Business students. It is a rigorous additional qualification to A-level and includes two examinations and a personal investigation all taken at the end of the course.
Syllabus Code 9771 - Exam Board Specifications
Progression - How will the study of Business benefit students’ future education and career?
- The study of Business gives students a good overall understanding of how business work.
- The courses will help students to understand how businesses are set up, how they are managed and how they respond to changes in the environment in which they work.
- This provides a good background for when students come to make decisions on a wide range of issues, from career choices to decisions about products and services they use on a daily basis.
- The skills developed in Business Studies will help students in all A Level subjects and in all jobs.
- Students will gain a wider understanding of the environments in which business operate and will provide an excellent foundation for any future career.
- Both Business and ICT A levels and Business Management Pre U would be ideal progression routes at A level based on the Business and Communication Systems GCSE.
- Business, and Business Management Pre U would be ideal progression routes at A Level based on the Business GCSE.
Our students are able to be involved in the following competitions:
- The Real Business Challenge
- All Year 10 Business and Business Communication System pupils take part in this National competition in the Autumn Term.
- Tycoon in Schools
- This national competition is open to all Coloma pupils from Years 7-13 (and not just Business students). In 2015 a Coloma team were invited to an awards ceremony held at Buckingham Palace by HRH Prince Andrew and Peter Jones.
- ICAEW BASE National Business and Accounting competition
- This is open to Year 13 Business students.
- Young Enterprise
- Open to all Year 12 Coloma students (not just Business students).